SHILLONG CENTRAL EXCISE
General Information :
The Commissionerates of Shillong & Dibrugarh Central Excise having its jurisdiction over the 7 (seven) States of North Eastern Region is situated in an industrially backward area and in a corner of the Country having international border with Bangladesh, Myanmar, China, and Bhutan. It is connected with the mainland through a small strip of land called as “Chicken neck” on account of its width. Difficult terrain, bad climatic conditions and poor road conditions and lack of proper infrastructure relating to telecommunication and compounded by regular landslides and floods during monsoon keeps all the seven states of this region isolated from the main land as well as from each other. So long, there was hardly any industrial activities besides traditional one such as Oil, Tea etc. However, trade and other industrial activities have started picking up after availing of different benefits which were extended to the entrepreneurs by Govt. of India and also by the local/State Govt.
In the meantime however, the region has witnessed substantial industrial growth with the setting up of more industrial units both in the Public Sector and Private Sector resulting in increase of work load and corresponding revenue increase.
The Shillong Customs & Central Excise Collectorate(as it was then termed) was formally created on 01.04.47 with the Collector, Calcutta having the additional charge of the Collectorate. In the year 1948 the Collectorate was made independent of Calcutta with the posting of Deputy Collector to discharge the work of the Collectorate. In March, 1951 a Collector was posted to Shillong which, which in a way, heralded the beginning of a full fledged Collectorate. The territorial jurisdiction of the Commissionerate comprises of 7 (seven) North Eastern States. Initially, the Collectorate had 2 (two) divisions namely Jorhat and Guwahati. In 1954, Silchar Division was created, in 1966 Dibrugarh Division was created and in 1971 Dhubri, Tezpur and Agartala Divisions were created. In 1980, 3 (three) more Divisions viz. Digboi, Tinsukia, Karimganj were created and in 1991 Imphal Division was created out of Silchar and Jorhat Divisions. The Collectorate was combined for both Customs and Central Excise. In 1993, the Collectorate was bifurcated and a separate Customs Collectorate came into existence. In1995, Collectorates all over the country were re-named as Commissionerates. With effect from 1st November 2002, Shillong Central Excise Commissionerate has been bifurcated vide Notification No. 22/2002-CE(NT) dated 14.06.2002 as amended into two Commissionerates namely Shillong and Dibrugarh Central Excise Commissionerates. With effect from 1st December 2008 again Shillong and Dibrugarh Central Excise Commissionerates has been bifurcated and a new Central Excise Commissionerate at Guwahati was created vide Notification No. 47/2008- CE-(NT) Dated 01.12.2008. The Office of the Commissioner Central Excise is situated at Morellow Compound, M.G. Road, Shillong – 793 001. Phone No. 0364-2227363, Fax – 0364-2223428, Eemail@example.com, Website : http://cexstshillong.gov.in.
Shillong Central Excise Commissionerate comprises of the following 4 divisions and 21 Ranges.
Content maintained and updated by : Office of Chief
Commissioner, Customs and Central Excise, Shillong Zone